Safe PC Anti-Virus protection What is Anti-Virus Software?
Anti-virus software is a program or set of programs that are designed to prevent, search for, detect, and
remove software viruses, malware, hackers and ransom-ware.
These tools are critical for users to have installed and be up-to-date because a computer without anti-virus software installed will be infected within minutes of connecting to the internet. The continuous attack is constant, with anti-virus companies update their detection tools constantly to deal with the more than 50,000 pieces of malware created daily.
There are many different companies that build and offer anti-virus software and what each offers can vary but all perform some basic functions:
- Scan specific files or directories for any malware or known malicious patterns creating software
- Allow you to schedule scans to automatically run at a specific time on your device
- Allow you to initiate a scan of a specific file or of your computer at any time.
- Remove any malicious code detected – you may be notified of an infection and asked if you want to clean the file, other programs will automatically do this behind the scenes.
- Show you a ‘health check report’ of your computer
Be sure you have the best, up-to-date security software installed to protect your computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones.